Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Finding words to express the frustration and anger I feel for the people of New Orleans is hard. I knew from the beginning of this trip that I wanted to see and experience the real New Orleans and not the tourist trap of the French quarter that everyone uses to represent the city. And in reality the quarter is a small part of a large community called New Orleans.

Growing up as a minority, specifically a black girl, we are raised and accustom to the concept of family and community going beyond bloodlines. So when I look at the devastation of a community like NOLA it is like watching my family suffer. I am not separate from that of the black community.

So in turn I found my continued frustration mounting as I watched people coming into the city, partying or vacationing in the French quarter while the people of New Orleans were living in trailers and run down buildings. I rode around with Jody and got to see what the people of New Orleans have to deal with on a daily basis and it felt like a crime to come into their city and not honor them by coming into their neighborhoods and supporting their local stores.

The conditions they have to live in are depressing and down right devastating but how could I ignore them? How could I act like my money is too good to be spent in their poor towns? How could I act like my partying or shopping in the French Quarter was supporting the families of New Orleans when in reality that is just selfish and self serving. Let’s be honest here. Being in the French Quarter, eating their food and drinking do not constitute supporting the families of New Orleans. It is not a selfless act.

I can not help all the families of New Orleans, even if my heart wants to. But what I could do was show some respect to them which is a lot more than they have received from the tourists and their own government. I could go to their neighborhoods, smile at them, buy coffee in a local shop and take the wool off of my eyes. Those people deserve the world to see how they have to live. They are not monkeys that tap dance in front of the tourists who throw money at them to survive. Or better yet, maybe they are. And who is responsible for that? I sure as hell will not be.

I made a pact with myself that I would not do to them what the world has done to them. I will not turn a blind eye to their community because it is too ugly to see right now. While people are coming in airplanes to party in one of the poorest cities with the highest crime rates in the United States, there are people who cannot afford to live.

A man working at the airport was telling us how his mortgage is 1050.00 a month for his 1300 sq. foot house. And after Katrina his payment raised to 1700.00 plus because of insurance. He talked about how the government has a clause that prevents interference into insurance matters in Louisiana. So they are stuck without a paddle and while cost of living goes up, the living wage stays the same.

On the flight home I sat next to this sweet boy, probably about 10 years old, who was flying home to his mom in Atlanta. Well, this was his new home because he was originally from New Orleans and was relocated after Katrina. He talked about wanting to go back home to NOLA but couldn’t afford it and there was nothing to go back to. Wow!!! And we have the nerve to think that everything is back to normal when there are still families displaced.

So next time you decide to take a trip to New Orleans, don’t shit on the locals by pretending that Katrina didn’t happen. Don’t turn your head from the devastation they see every morning when leaving their bed. Show them the respect that they deserve. Eat at their local restaurants, shop in their stores, smile and say good morning to them. Show them that we still remember what happened and we know they are still suffering.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well Said. Love ya.

Jody Piper said...

Bravo on the blog, Crystal. The most damaging thing people can do to New Orleans right now is ignore it. The problems here go so much deeper than than people will acknowledge. If all they can do is come to the French Quarter and spend money, that's better than ignoring it altogether. But they should take the time to talk to people, locals who rode out the storm or came back... hear about their experiences, their struggles, etc. For those afraid to venture into devastated areas of the city, there are ways for them to show support of the people just by LISTENING. Because you know what? Nobody is listening right now.

New Orleans has always prided itself on being a third world country seperate from the rest of the United States. Sadly, this became alarmingly accurate after Katrina and remains so today. When local government continues the beautification project on Canal St. to the tune of $10K per palm tree after the storm, the corruption and mismanagement of funds is a slap in the face. And if nobody is listening to the cries of New Orleanians, maybe they will listen if the rest of the country starts crying about the travesty. Just my two cents.






Hubbie and I

Hubbie and I

Blog Archive